Are you experiencing any issues on your Microsoft “Spell check not working in word“? worry no more and i assure you today, we are going to be discussing on how to get it fixed.
Microsoft Word is a powerful word processor used in offices and homes everywhere. Among its most important features is its spelling and grammar-checking tool, which saves lots of files from embarrassing mistakes. Although this function works well most of the time, sometimes it may seem to stop operating. Some simple troubleshooting steps will probably get Word’s spelling and grammar-checking tool back up and running fast.
What Are The Causes of Word’s Spell Check Not Working?
There are numerous reasons Word’s spelling and grammar-checking instrument may not be working. An easy setting might have been altered, or the language settings might be off. Exceptions might have been set on the record or the spell-check tool, or the term template could have an issue.
Whatever the reason, some simple fixes will likely get Word back to pointing out errors in your documents shortly. Spell check can also not not work in Word for several reasons below:
How to Fix Word’s Spell Checker Not Working
If the spell check is not working for a specific document, the problem could be with formating or language settings. Follow the solutions below to solve this problem for a specific document.
Solution 1: Install o Proofing Tool
If you don’t have the proofing tool installed on your computer, you may notice that your spell check not working in word. Follow these steps below to install the proofing tools easily:
- At first, close all the running programs.
- Click on the Start icon and go to the Control Panel app.
- Now search for the Programs and Features option and click on it.
- From the dialogue box appeared, select your installed Microsoft Office Edition and click on the Change button.
- Now select Add or Remove Features option.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Now expand the Office Shared Features section.
- Click on the icon to the left of the Proofing Tools option and select the Run from my computer option.
- Finally, click on the Continue option and the proofing tools should be installed in a few minutes.
Solution 2 – Uncheck “Do not check spelling or grammar”
To check Language & Check Spelling Options follow the below steps
1. Open your Microsoft Word or you can open any Word documents on your PC.
2. Select all the text by using the shortcut Windows key + A.
3. Click on the Review tab that is available at the top of the screen.
4. Now click on the Language under Review and then click on Set Proofing Language option.
5. Now in the dialog box that opens, make sure to select the correct Language.
6. Next, Uncheck the checkbox next to “Do not check spelling or grammar” and “Detect language automatically“.
thats all, Now restart Microsoft office word and check word spell check is working.
Solution 3: Enable The ‘Check Spelling As You Type’ Option
To turn on spell check in word, follow these steps below:
- Click on the File tab on the top left corner of the Microsoft Office Word application.
- Select the Options from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Proofing section and enable the Check spelling as you type checkbox.
- In the Exceptions for section, disable all the check boxes.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save.
Solution 4: Rename Your Word Template
Another possibility the your word spell is not working and word document not showing spelling errors is Global template either the normal.dot or normal.dotm is corrupted and result in Word Spell Check not working issue. Global template is located in the Microsoft Templates folder which is under the AppData folder. To fix this issue one needs to rename the Word Global template file and reset Microsoft Word to the default settings. Follow below steps to reset microsoft word to default setting.
- Open Run in your PC. Either by going into start and type RUN or Press Windows Key + R
- After opening RUN, type the following press Enter:
3.This will open the Microsoft Word Templates folder, Here find you can see the normal or normal.dot or normal.dotm file and after that Right-click and Rename it file name from Normal.dotm to Normal_old.dotm.
The word template will be renamed and Word settings will be reset to default. Now restart your computer and spell check in word is working.
Now you know the reasons behind spell check not working in word and also the solutions to turn on spell check in word. If you found this article helpful, let us know by commenting below. If you still have queries regarding Microsoft word spelling checker, feel free to tell us here.